Pastoral Care in Junior School is provided by class teachers in Years 4 to 6. Those with a strong family affiliation to a particular House may request for their son to be placed in this House and every endeavour will be made to accommodate this request.
Pastoral Care in the High School is provided in Tutor Groups which are arranged vertically with a mix of students from Years 7 to 12. These groups meet first thing each morning. There are also regular House meetings and year level meetings where age-specific activities take place.
What is Pastoral Care at St Edmund’s?
- Caring for each student, by putting his interests and welfare in the centre of a decision making process.
- Focusing on attending to a variety of his needs.
- Working in partnership with home.
- Linking with academic care.
How do we do this?
- Through an Edmund Rice charism that has a preferential treatment for those at the margins.
- Establishing and maintaining positive and productive relationships between home and school.
- By respecting that the needs of boys and young men vary and change in relation to circumstances.
- Through the use of Restorative Justice practices as a Gospel inspired way of resolving differences and rebuilding relationships.
How does this happen?
- Through our vertical House system which is the chief means of administration, organisation, communication and partnership that the College offers to families.
- By looking for ways to get to know each boy-
- Daily Tutor Group
- Weekly House briefings
- House Camps
- Buddy Program
- Year based pastoral program- specific topics tailored to the students’ needs
- House based points competitions- athletics and swimming carnivals, whole school event days
- House based academic programs- Masses, liturgies, retreats, reflection and prayer
How does it work?
- Each House is led by a Head of House and each Tutor Group is led by a Tutor.
- It is the Tutor and Head of House who lead the initiation of the care we offer.
- A whole school approach to classroom management including the use of Restorative Practices.
- We link our pastoral care and pastoral program with the 6 C’s-
Create – Challenge – Collaborate – Contemplate – Connect – Celebrate